Monday, January 4, 2010

I have the best office!

There's a single very tall building near my office, a beautiful gothic tower.  One of the two gigantic windows in my office faces this tower.  At the very top of this tower is an peregrine falcon aerie.  They used to have live webcam feed from the nest, but alas, no longer. 

As I sat down at my desk, not 10 minutes ago, one of these gorgeous birds was engaging in pigeon hunting right outside my window.  These birds hunt by snatching smaller birds right out of the air.  There were some pretty amazing aerial gymnastics going on.

I've often seen the raptors circling at least a hundred feet in the air over the pond in the nearby park, but I had a front row seat for this. 

Wait a sec.  He just parked himself on the eave right in front of me.  He must've not caught anything.  Damn I really wish I had my camera.  I think he might be a red tailed hawk, not a peregrine.  Yup.  He's a red tailed hawk. So says the almighty google:


I wonder where he lives.   Universities make pretty good hunting grounds what with all the pigeons and chipmunks.  Maybe next time I'll get my own photo.  Who knows, maybe I'll even see him catch one of those pigeons. 

1 comment:

  1. VERY cool. I am jellus. :)

    P.S. Have been hunting camera for DAYS.

    It's in my red bag. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete