Monday, September 7, 2009

Teaching Play

One of the things we've been working really hard on around here is pretend play.  This is a really hard thing to teach because most children don't have to be taught, they just do it naturally.  One way to try to teach it is to give the child some templates of play, or play scripts.  Since Mowgli can already read, I decided to use books to provide the templates.

I went to the bookstore to try and find a few appropriate books, but the selection, um.... left something to be desired.  All of the books at his reading level had plots that were way way way to complicated.  All of the books for younger kids had no plot at all.  So I decided to make my own.

They were really fun to make.  They've both got a total of 4 pages including the cover.  They're bound with embroidery thread.  The illustrations were done with india ink & watercolor.  I constructed 2 more books that I haven't written anything in yet.  I'll post them as soon as I've finished the illustrations. 




Let's Play Dragon

 
Let's Play Pirates. 


Mowgli loved them & they've been great so far.

Images are free to copy for use in therapy. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your books. I love the illustrations too. They're great. What about playing...wild horses? Or puppies? Do you still have to cross the street because of dogs, or did Dolly the Dog (princess wussy dog) help with that?

    ReplyDelete